Villa d’Este Hotel, Lake Como, Italy; Cooking with Chef Luciano Parolari
To make risotto: Bring the stock to a boil in a medium saucepan, then reduce the heat and keep at a bare simmer.
2. Warm the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
Add the onion and wine and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the onions are translucent and the white wine is reduced.
Add the rice and cook, stirring for about 3 minutes, until every grain is coated with the liquid.
3. Add 1 cup of the chicken stock until the liquid is absorbed.
Continue adding stock, about ½ cup at a time, stirring frequently and making sure all the liquid is absorbed before adding more stock.
When half the stock has been added, add the saffron.
Continue to add stock.
Cook until the rice is tender and creamy, about 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the butter and Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper.
5. To make cheese fondue: In a medium pot, add the fontina cheese and milk and cook until cheese is melted.
6. To assemble: Place risotto in a serving dish and drizzle the melted cheese fondue on top.