This is the heartiest, most versatile recipe. You can easily take the sauce, add veggies and protein and make an amazing potpie.
Technique Tip: You can blend the mushrooms in the velouté to your taste, either super smooth or chunky.
Swap option: Use your favorite mushroom, or spice it up with a different stock. If you don't have rosemary salt, use a mix of kosher salt and crushed, dried rosemary leaves.
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 2 pounds cremini mushrooms, washed and stemmed
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 ounces flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons rosemary salt
- 1 cup arugula
- Aged Gouda cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions.
3. In a medium bowl, toss the cremini mushrooms with olive oil to lightly coat and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
4. In a saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour to create a roux. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Then, add the garlic and cook for one additional minute. Add the vegetable stock, whisk well, and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 3-5 minutes. Then, add the roasted mushrooms to the sauce and blend with a hand blender or in a regular blender. Season with rosemary salt.
5. Toss the sauce with the pasta and arugula. Plate on a large platter, then top with grated Gouda cheese.