In my house, even the traditional holiday meals get an Italian twist. Here, the classic rib roast gets coated with Italian seasonings like tomato, oregano, onion and garlic.
- One (4-bone) rib roast (approximately 9 to 10 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons tomato powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1. The day before cooking, clean and tie the rib roast.
2. In a small bowl, combine the dried spices and mix well.
3. Rub the roast with the blended spices evenly and allow to sit in the refrigerator uncovered overnight.
4. Preheat an oven to 450°F.
5. Arrange the roast on a rack in a roasting pan and place in the oven for 10 minutes. Lower the heat to 225°F and continue cooking until the roast reaches an internal temperature of 115°F (2-3 hours).
6. Remove the roast from the oven and allow to rest for a minimum of one hour before slicing and serving.