This hot chocolate tastes like the holidays and kids have fun garnishing it themselves.
Technique tip: Don't overheat the milk. Pour slowly while whipping.
Swap option: You can leave out the nuts, add a teaspoon of molasses into the drink and garnish with graham cracker crumbs. You could use almond milk instead of cow's milk.
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces milk chocolate chips
- 3 ounces butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 6 cups milk
- 2 cups half and half
- 1½ cups cream
- 2 teaspoons confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed pretzels
- 1/2 cup chocolate shavings
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1. Place chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, pecans, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
2. Heat milk and half and half on the stovetop to 180°F.
3. While milk heats, whip the cream with the sugar to form stiff peaks.
4. Slowly pour milk mixture over the chocolate mixture, whisking as you pour to melt and mix the ingredients.
5. Pour the mixture into 6 mugs and top with whipped cream, pretzels, chocolate shavings and chopped pecans.