These roll-ups are great for shrimp, pasta and cheese lovers! You can make it all the way through if you have the time, or you can refrigerate or freeze the unbaked casserole for less fuss at dinnertime.
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1½ cups grated fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup white wine (or you can use shrimp or veggie broth)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley, plus more for serving
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) salted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the lasagna:
Cook the lasagna noodles just under al dente. Drain them and rinse them in cold water to stop the cooking process. Lay the noodles out flat on a piece of foil or parchment so they will keep their shape.
For the filling:
1. In a large skillet, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until the onion is turning translucent, 2-3 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring constantly, until turning pink, 1-2 minutes. Add the lemon juice, wine, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and stir to combine. Let simmer until the shrimp are cooked through and the wine is almost fully reduced, about 1½ minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
2. Chop the shrimp into bite-size pieces and set aside to cool. (Hold on to the skillet for making the sauce.)
3. In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, ricotta, Parmesan, and egg. Add the parsley and a pinch each of salt and pepper then mix it all together with a rubber spatula and fold in the shrimp. Keep the filling in the fridge while you make the sauce.
For the sauce:
In the same skillet you used to cook the shrimp, melt the butter. Add the flour and garlic and whisk and cook until the roux turns golden brown, about 3 minutes. Pour in the milk, cream, salt and pepper and whisk constantly until it's thick, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool to lukewarm.
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Spread 1 cup of the sauce in the bottom of a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Working one at a time, spread about 1/2 cup of the shrimp filling over a lasagna noodle roll it up so that the filling is inside the noodle and place the roll seam side down in the pan. Repeat with the rest of the noodles, then pour the rest of the sauce over the top.
3. Top with the grated mozzarella. You can bake it immediately, or you can cover it and refrigerate it for up to 2 days before baking, or freeze it for up to 3 months (thaw it thoroughly in the fridge before baking).
4. Bake until golden and bubbling, about 25 minutes. Sprinkle on the parsley. Serve the roll-ups with a side of veggies.