- 1 whole chicken
- 10 ramps, bottoms and tops divided
- 2 serrano chilies, tops and seeds removed
- 2-3 springs of fresh thyme
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head garlic, sliced width wise
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 425° F. Finely chop ramp bottoms, chilies and thyme. Mix with lime juice, allspice, nutmeg, 2 teaspoons salt and olive oil one tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached, similar to a pesto.
Pat dry chicken and season with additional salt. Then cover with rub, rubbing both on top of the chicken and underneath the skin. Stuff cavity with garlic and truss chicken. Place chicken on a lightly oiled cast iron skillet. Place chicken in the oven and roast for 45 – 55 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165° F.
Finely slice ramp tops and use to garnish the chicken before serving.