Quinoa is great in lots of dishes and is a great substitute for rice and pasta and it's gluten free. This salad features both quinoa and purple potatoes, both of which are native to Peru.
Technique tip: Make sure you rinse your quinoa before you cook it because it has a natural coating that can have a bitter or soapy taste.
- 1 cup cubed purple potato
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves (optional)
1. Preheat to oven to 375°F.
2. Place the purple potatoes in a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, cumin, and salt. Place in the oven and roast until tender, about 20 minutes and stirring halfway through.
3. Cook the quinoa according to package instructions and let sit off the heat for about 5 minutes. In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil with the lime zest and juice. Add the quinoa into the bowl and stir in the spinach, carrot, and cooked purple potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
4. Divide the quinoa into bowls and top with the avocado. Garnish with cilantro leaves if desired.