I don't have a lot of time but I love to make healthy, delicious food for my family. I can make a big batch of pesto and keep it in my fridge or freezer, and then quickly cook up a batch of any seasonal veggie (asparagus is one of my favorites) in five minutes using my quick-roasting method. When it's this easy and delicious, there's no excuse to not eat your veggies!
Technique tip: Snap the bottom of your asparagus off by hand; the asparagus will naturally break where the tough bottom ends and the tender veggie begins.
Swap option: Try walnuts instead of pistachios for a nuttier flavor, or go traditional with pine nuts. If you have allergies, omit the nuts all together and add a little Parmesan cheese. If you don't have a food processor, chop the nuts and herbs by hand and stir it all together in a bowl.
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends snapped off
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
2. Put the sheet tray into the oven to preheat for at least 5 minutes. You want it screaming hot!
3. Toss the asparagus in the olive oil, salt and pepper. Quickly (and carefully) take the hot pan from the oven and toss the oiled asparagus onto it. Spread them out evenly in a single layer and return to the oven for 4-5 minutes.
4. While the asparagus is in the oven, throw all the ingredients into your food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped and mixed well.
5. Take the asparagus out of the oven and top with the pesto. Serve piping hot or at room temp.