I love quiche because it can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or a light dinner. It is also great and easy to serve at a big party since it can be made ahead of time.
Swap option: Use any cheese you prefer.
- 1 store-bought refrigerated pie crust
- 6 thick-cut smoky bacon slices, crisply cooked and chopped (about 7 ounces)
- 6 ounces Gruyère or Swiss cheese, shredded (about 1½ cups)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Assorted fresh herbs (such as thyme and basil), for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the pie crust into a greased 9-inch pie plate.
2. Sprinkle the bacon and cheese in the bottom of the pie crust.
3. Whisk together the flour and 1 of the eggs in a medium bowl. Add the salt, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, and remaining 3 eggs; whisk in the cream. Pour the egg mixture over the bacon and cheese in the piecrust.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until the custard is set and the crust is golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before sprinkling with fresh herbs, slicing and serving.