This recipe is a perfect starter course or a cozy main supper for a warming autumn dinner.
Swap option: Swap ground beef or ground turkey instead of sausage. You can also hide some extra veggies in this recipe like carrots, broccoli or cauliflower.
- 1 pound of sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- One 15-ounce can pumpkin
- Grated Parmesan cheese, to garnish
- Chopped parsley, to garnish
1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, brown the sausage in just a drizzle of olive oil. Once browned and crumbly, stir in the chopped onion, garlic and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté about five minutes until tender.
2. Next, stir in the butter and allow to melt. As soon as it melts, sprinkle in the flour and stir for a minute. Next, whisk in the milk, chicken stock and pumpkin. Bring everything to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer together about 10 minutes.
3. Finally, ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with grated Parmesan and chopped parsley.