Once you try this recipe, you're never going to want traditional mashed potatoes again! Don't skip the roasting of the pumpkin puree: This important step removes excess liquid and intensifies the flavor.
Swap option: Use pancetta instead of bacon.
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1½-ing chunks
- sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for serving
1. Place a quarter sheet pan in the oven and preheat to 350 F.
2. Once preheated, carefully spread the pumpkin puree, in an even layer, onto the hot sheet pan. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
3. Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a large stockpot filled with cold water and season generously with salt (don't be skimpy!).
4. Place over high heat, bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, warm the oil over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring often, until crispy, for about 12 minutes. Add the sage and cook until vibrant green, crispy and fragrant, about 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon and sage to a paper towel-lined plate and reserve the rendered bacon grease.
6. Reserve 3/4 cup of the potato cooking liquid, then drain the potatoes in a colander.
7. Transfer the potatoes to a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix over medium speed until smooth. Add the butter and mix until fully incorporated. Add the roasted pumpkin puree, sour cream, pepper and 1/4 cup of the bacon grease and mix to combine. Add the reserved cooking liquid, a couple tablespoons at a time, as needed, until a creamy texture is achieved. Fold in half 2/3 of the bacon and sage mixture and season with salt, to taste.
8. Transfer to a serving platter or bowl and top with the remaining bacon and sage, a drizzle of the bacon grease and freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.