It definitely scratches the itch for mashed potatoes, but the cauliflower and yogurt make it feel much lighter and like something we could easily incorporate into our regular rotation.
- 1½ pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound cauliflower, cut into small florets
- kosher salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small squares, plus more to serve
- 3/4 cup full-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives, for garnish
- flaky sea salt, for garnish
- freshly ground black pepper, for garnish
Add the potato pieces and cauliflower florets to a large stock pot, cover with cold water and season generously with salt.2.
Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until fork-tender.3.
Drain in a colander and then return the vegetables to the hot pot and let sit for a few minutes to dry off.4.
Add the butter and mash with a potato masher until nearly smooth.5.
Fold in the yogurt and garlic powder.6.
Taste and season with salt, as needed.7.
Transfer to a serving bowl and top with chives, flaky sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper and a pat of butter.