In addition to making a crazy delicious topping for oysters, this jam is an unbeatable condiment for scallops or pork chops, as a sandwich spread, on eggs or on cheese plates.
Special equipment required: Blender or food processor
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 small fennel bulbs with fronds, bulbs halved, cored, and thinly sliced, fronds finely chopped
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Kosher salt
1. In a large saucepan, cook the bacon over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until golden andcrisp, about 8-10 minutes. Pour off all but ¼ cup of the fat.
2. Reduce the heat to medium, then stir in the sliced fennel bulb, shallots, and garlic. Cook, stirringoccasionally, until softened, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, sugar, herbs, orange zest, chiliflakes, and a pinch of salt, then add 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a bare simmer;cook, stirring occasionally and reducing the heat as necessary to keep the mixture barelysimmering, until thickened, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
3. Remove the mixture from the heat and let cool to room temperature. Transfer to a blender orfood processor and pulse, scraping the sides of the blender jar or food processor as needed,until you have a coarse jam.
4. The jam keeps, in an airtight container and refrigerated, for up to 1 week. Bring to roomtemperature or gently warm before serving.
Note: In addition to making a crazy delicious topping for oysters, this jam is an unbeatable condiment forscallops or pork chops, as a sandwich spread, or on eggs or cheese plates.