Make this brisket over the weekend and you'll be able to turn it into dinners and lunches all week long. You'll thank yourself later!
- 1 3-5-pound beef brisket
- 2 tablespoons ground chili powder
- 3-5 teaspoons kosher salt (1 per pound)
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-2 medium yellow onions, peeled and quartered
- 6-8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 3-5 cups pomegranate juice (1 per pound)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix chili powder, salt, pepper, and brown sugar.
Place brisket in a roasting pan and rub on all sides with chili powder mixture. Turn so brisket is fat-side up, and scatter quartered onions and garlic cloves around the sides.
Whisk together pomegranate juice and tomato paste, and pour in around brisket. Add enough water or broth to the pan so that the liquid comes 3/4 up the side of the meat. Cover pan tightly with foil and braise in oven about 5-6 hours, or until meat is tender.
Scrape off and discard the fat. Use a fork to mash in garlic cloves and shred the brisket. Stir meat into the pan sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper, as desired.