Use zucchini instead of dough to make these healthy boats loaded with pizza toppings.
- 4 medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons unrefined, cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 sweet bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 small tomatoes
- A few basil leaves
- 1/3 cup pecorino or parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella (optional)
- 1 cup marinara sauce (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease a baking dish or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Trim the stem end of the zucchini and slice the zucchini in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop out the soft center flesh with a spoon and set aside. Place the zucchini halves on the baking dish and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Finely chop the scooped zucchini flesh and reserve.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté the zucchini flesh, onion, pepper and garlic until soft, tender and translucent. Add the tomatoes and a sprinkling of salt and pepper and sauté until the tomatoes are soft and have released their juices. Turn off the heat and stir in the basil and parmesan cheese.
5. Spoon the mixture evenly into each zucchini boat. Top with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese, if desired.
6. Bake for 15-20 min until cheese is melted and zucchini is tender.
Cooks note: You can add other ingredients to the mixture such as olives, chopped artichoke hearts, or cooked spinach.