This recipe is such a good dish to make if you're craving pizza but don't want to splurge on a carb heavy pie. It has all the same wonderful flavors, but it's packed with beefy protein (that you can make ahead!) so it's super satisfying.
Technique tip: Make these in smaller baby peppers for a party. It's such a fun twist on stuffed jalapeños!
Swap option: Feel free to substitute plain tomato purée for the marinara sauce if you don't have any on hand. There are a lot of strong flavors in the dish, so it won't compromise the final result.
- 3 cups marinara sauce, divided
- 1 pound cooked seasoned ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 4 ounces chopped pepperoni
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
- 4 red bell peppers, tops cut off, ribs and seeds removed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Pour 2½ cups of the marinara sauce in the bottom of a large baking dish and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the cooked beef, egg, breadcrumbs, pepperoni, 1/2 cup of mozzarella, parsley, oregano, Parmesan cheese and remaining marinara sauce.
4. Stuff your prepped peppers with the filling, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, top with the remaining mozzarella and bake for 15 more minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
5. Let cool for a few minutes before serving and enjoy!