If you're not familiar with dragon fruit (also called pitaya), definitely give it a try in this cocktail. It has a flavor that's reminiscent of kiwi, but what's truly remarkable about it is its brilliant color. And to take this margarita to the next level, I rim the glass with salt mixed with crushed dried rose petals. This is for sure a drink you want to Instagram before taking a sip.
Technique tip: As with a lot of fruit-based drinks, you should taste the fruit for ripeness and then adjust the amount of sugar accordingly.
- 4 cups water
- 1½ cups granulated sugar, or to taste
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pitaya (dragon fruit)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 5 limes)
- 2 cups tequila blanco
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, for rimming
- 1 tablespoon crushed dried rose petals, for rimming
- Lime wedges, for rimming
1. Combine the water, sugar, pitaya and lime juice in a blender and process until smooth.
2. Transfer to a large pitcher and fill with ice. Add the tequila and stir well with a wooden spoon.
3. Combine the salt and crushed rose petals on a small plate. Moisten the rim of a glass with a lime wedge, then dip the rim in the rose salt. Wiggle the glass to coat the wet part of the rim completely. Repeat to rim the remaining glasses.
4. Fill the glasses with ice, strain the pitaya margarita into them, and serve.