- 2 ripe medium tomatoes (about 12 ounces)
- 12 large fresh cilantro sprigs, thick stems removed, remaining stems and leaves finely chopped (about 1⁄4 cup)
- 1 medium jalapeño or 1 small serrano, finely chopped (about 11⁄2 tablespoons), or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (optional)
Core the tomatoes and cut them in half. Gently squeeze out most of the seeds, and cut the tomatoes into 1/4 inch (no larger) dice. Toss the diced tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and jalapeño together in a mixing bowl. Add the salt and lime juice, then stir in the oil, if using. Let sit for a few minutes. The salsa can be made and kept at room temperature for up to 4 hours—no longer—before serving. Stir and taste again before serving.