I love this dish because it can be made ahead of time and is great for entertaining. The shrimp is so flavorful and versatile, I've also served it on tostadas and avocado toast.
Technique tip: Make sure not to overcook the shrimp and serve it chilled.
Swap option: I've also used diced crab legs (king or snow) in this recipe.
- 1½ pounds cooked and peeled shrimp
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 4 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 Fresno chiles, sliced
- 1/2 habanero pepper, sliced
- 1/4 cup capers with their juice
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 3 (10-inch) French bread rolls, halved lengthwise
- salt, to taste
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
For the shrimp:
Place all the ingredients in a large zip-top bag. Massage the bag to work in the marinade. Place in the fridge for 24 hours.
For the po-boy:1.
Remove the shrimp from the fridge and drain in a colander, reserving the marinade.2.
Spread mayo on both sides of the French bread, then top the bottom slice with some of the shrimp.3.
Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of the reserved marinade over the shrimp then lightly season with the salt.4.
Top with the tomato, lettuce and the remaining slice of French bread.