It's hard not to love a cheese steak sandwich because it's really everything you want to eat — and probably know you shouldn't. Tender meat with crispy edges, flavorful, caramelized onions and peppers, smothered in gooey, melty cheese and served between crusty, soft bread. Game day, made.
Technique tip: Freeze the meat prior to cutting it to help you slice it very thinly.
Swap option: Instead of processed cheese, you can use provolone, American or a combination of both cheeses.
- 1½ pounds boneless beef short ribs (or ribeye)
- 3 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Processed cheese sauce, such as Cheez Whiz
- 4 crusty Italian rolls, cut in half
1. Put the beef in the freezer for 45 minutes. Remove, and thinly slice.
2. Heat two tablespoons of oil in a heavy cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and season generously with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes until vegetables caramelize. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and turn heat to medium-high. Add half of the beef to pan, and using two metal spatulas, cook on one side until edges start to brown. Flip and add half of the onion pepper mixture to the beef. Cook on the other side until edges start to crisp. This won't take long, a minute or so per side. Repeat with remaining beef, onions and peppers.
4. Warm cheese sauce in the microwave.
5. To assemble sandwiches, place beef and onions onto bottom half of roll, smother with cheese sauce and top with bread.