This is not your average potato salad. Beyond the eye-catching purple color it is packed with bright, tangy and spicy flavors and dressed in a creamy egg and cheese sauce.
Huancaina sauce (makes 2 cups)
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped fine
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 whole Aji Amarillo chiles, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 pounds purple potatoes, cooked, peeled, cooled and chopped into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon chopped finely Anaheim pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green apple, tossed in lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped into same size pieces as potatoes
- 1/3 cup green peas, cooked and shocked in ice water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cups huancaina sauce (recipe above)
For the huancaina sauce:
Sauté onions and garlic in the vegetable oil for about 3 minutes until very translucent and cooked all the way through.
Add the cooked onion mixture, cream cheese, queso fresco, evaporated milk, chiles and salt to a blender and blend to incorporate the ingredients. Slowly crumble in pieces of the hard-boiled egg and blend to a smooth consistency.
For the potato salad:
Combine all ingredients in large bowl and mix well until all ingredients are combined. Lightly dress them with the huancaina sauce and serve.