This twist on spaghetti pie from Katie Lee is perfect for feeding a group.
RELATED: Spaghetti pie 5 ways
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 pound ground beef (85% lean)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups marinara sauce (homemade or store-bought, I like Rao's)
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan, plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons minced flat leaf parsley
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Grease a 9 x 3-inch cake pan. Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add penne pasta and cook three to four minutes less than the package recommends, so that it is very al dente. Drain and reserve a small amount of pasta water.
In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown the beef. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel. Heat olive oil in the skillet over medium heat and sauté onions until translucent, about four to five minutes. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, marinara, ricotta, ½ cup Parmesan, parsley, salt, pepper and two tablespoons reserved pasta water. Add cooked penne, beef and onions. Toss to evenly coat. Transfer to prepared cake pan. Top with mozzarella and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until cheese is bubbling and golden brown. Let sit 5 minutes, then cut into wedges and serve.