Maggie McCreath, author of “52 Weeks of Cookies: How One Mom Refused to Be Beaten by Her Son's Deployment,” shares this recipe for one of the cookie batches she sent her son stationed in Iraq.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together peanut butter, shortening, margarine, corn syrup, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, and egg with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add baking soda and salt. Continue to beat with electric mixer for about a minute.
- With a spoon, mix in flour until well blended. Stir in the peanut butter chips.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoons onto cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.