The key ingredient you need to make this simple yet flavorful pasta salad? A rotisserie chicken from your grocery store!
- 8 ounces of short-cut pasta, such as bow tie or penne
- One whole rotisserie chicken
- 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces arugula, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted kalama olives, halved
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Peppercorns, to taste
1. Fill a large pot with water, add a generous sprinkle of salt and bring to a boil. Or, use any pre-cooked cold pasta, if available.
2. In a skillet with high sides, fill it 3/4 of the way with water, add a pinch of salt, the garlic cloves, a few peppercorns, 1 lemon (halved), a few sprigs of parsley and a drizzle of olive oil. Bring the water to a simmer, add the rotisserie chicken and poach it gently on medium heat for about 15 minutes, or until it flakes easily.
3. Remove the poultry from the water, place it onto a plate and allow it to cool.
4. Add the pasta to the boiling water, cook according to package instructions, drain and rinse under cold water to stop it from cooking.
5. In a bowl, add the red onion, cherry tomatoes, parsley, arugula, olives, small pinch of salt, pepper to taste, olive oil and the juice of 1/2 lemon (add the juice from the remaining half if you like it a bit more sour).
6. Flake the chicken in and gently stir everything together, making sure not to break up the pieces too much. And make sure all the pieces are free of bones or tough tendons!
7. Add the pasta, toss everything together well, cover the dish and pop it in the fridge for about 20 minutes to allow all the flavors to blend together.
8. Serve cold.