Cooking in parchment paper is a great way to prepare wonder meals with minimal cleanup. You can even eat right out of the paper pouch!
Technique tip: Make sure each piece of salmon is of equal weight and size so that they all cook at the same time.
- 1 pound marble potatoes
- 1 large bowl ice water
- 1 pound broccoli rabe
- 1 lemon
- 4 large sheets parchment paper, 12- by 24-inches
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Four 5-ounce salmon fillets
- 1 stick butter, cut in to 4 pieces
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F. Place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
2. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes to water and cook until soft, about 5-8 minutes. Remove from water and put in ice bath until cool. Remove, cut in half and set aside. Next, add broccoli rabe to the boiling water and cook until tender and bright green, 5-8 minutes. Remove and place in the ice bath to stop cooking. When cool, remove and set aside. Cut lemons into four thin, round slices.
3. Fold your parchment paper in half, open it back up and lay it flat on a large work surface. Place some of the broccoli rabe just above the fold in the shape of a bird's nest. Place 6-8 halves of potatoes around the broccoli. Season with salt and pepper. Pour a small amount of white wine, about 3-4 tablespoons, into the center of the broccoli nest. Season one piece of salmon with salt and pepper and place over the broccoli and potatoes. Place one piece of butter over the salmon and top the butter with one slice of lemon.
4. Fold the bottom half of the parchment paper over the fish and starting at the bottom right corner, fold the paper over itself in thin triangles, one after another, until you've made a half-moon shape. Fold the last edge of paper under the packet and set aside.
5. When all four packages of fish are folded, carefully remove the hot baking sheet from the oven and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Place the parchment packages on the cooking sheet and back in the oven for 12 minutes.
6. Carefully remove from the oven and place each package on a plate and serve by opening each package tableside with a knife and fork.