- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces or 3 pounds legs and thighs
- 2 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped same size as onions, seeds removed
- 2 garlic cloves smashed
- 1 hot Italian sausage link, cut into 1 inch rings
Brown the chicken: In a wide, heavy-based sauté or frying pan, preferably cast-iron, heats the oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken parts well with some salt and a lot of black pepper. Add the chicken, skin-side down, and cook until the skin is well browned and crisp, about 10 minutes.
Turn the chicken, reduce the heat to medium, partially cover the pan (another pan, inverted can take the place of a lid) and continue cooking another 15 minutes.
Add the onion, garlic and peppers to the pan with the chicken.
Continue cooking, stirring the onion occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
Add the sausage and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is well browned and cooked through
Check to see if the chicken is cooked through about another 10 – 15 minutes; the juices from a thigh pieces will run clear when pricked with the tines of a fork. Serve immediately.