This Catalan bread dish is a classic — so simple and delicious.
Technique tip: This recipe is even simpler if you make it the traditional way and rub the tomato directly onto the bread (instead of grating it), drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
Swap option: Swap in country bread for pan de cristal.
- 2 big ripe tomatoes (about 1/4 pound)
- 1 loaf pan de cristal bread, sliced in half (lengthwise)
- Spanish extra-virgin olive oil, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Cut the tomatoes in half. Place a grater over a large mixing bowl. Rub the open face of the tomato into the grater until the flesh is gone. Discard the skin.
2. Whisk the olive oil into the bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Toast the bread and spoon the tomato-oil mixture onto the toast. Drizzle with a little more oil.