It's always smart to have a few meals in the freezer. Pick a Saturday or Sunday and involve the whole family in making huge batches of different dishes; think things that are stew-y and freeze well. Then pack them in quart containers so you can take out just what you need. This hearty soup is perfect for prepping ahead and enjoying another day.
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus a few tablespoons more for garnish, divided
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 bulb fennel, diced (white parts only)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped (stems discarded, a handful reserved for garnish)
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, chopped into thin ribbons
- 5 ounces fresh spinach
- 4 cups cooked cannellini beans
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
In a large soup pot, heat 1/2 cup of the olive oil on medium. Add the onions, garlic, red pepper flakes and half of the carrots, celery and fennel. Cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste cook and for 5 more minutes.2.
Add the chicken stock along with the remaining carrots, celery, fennel, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Cook for another 10 minutes.3.
Add the bunch of parsley, chard, spinach and beans, and cook until softened, about 7-12 more minutes.4.
Garnish with reserved parsley, a drizzle of olive oil and squirt of fresh lemon juice. Serve warm.