Sausage and peppers are a perfect pairing. Adding broccoli rabe, savory onions, white beans and pasta makes this classic combo even better.
- 1 pound paccheri (jumbo rigatoni)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 sweet Italian sausages, roughly chopped
- 1 cup canned cannellini beans, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 2-inch wide strips, seeds removed
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 2-inch wide strips, seeds removed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 2-inch wide strips, seeds removed
- 2 medium onions, cut into 2-inch wide strips
- 2 cups cooked broccoli rabe, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil and cook the pasta till al dente.
2. In a large heavy bottom skillet, heat olive oil over low heat and brown the garlic. Add the sausage and brown on all sides; then remove and set aside.
3. To the same pan, add the peppers, onions and broccoli rabe and sauté until soft; set aside with the sausages. Add the beans and sauté for 10 minutes.
4. Add the cooked pasta to the pan and toss together.