Using as mixture of ground pork and chicken gives these lettuce cups added flavor. If you don't have butter lettuce, use whatever leafy greens you have on hand like romaine, iceberg lettuce or another preferred green.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 8 ounces canned whole water chestnuts, drained and diced
- Kosher salt
- Lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup wasabi peas or Asian trail mix, crumbled
1. Heat the canola oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add the ground chicken and ground pork cooking until browned, about 3 to 5 minutes. Make sure to break the meat apart as it is cooking. Once it is browned and done, drain the excess fat.
2. Stir in the garlic, ginger, onions and carrots. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 1 to2 minutes. Stir in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, Sriracha, sesame oil and water chestnuts. Cook until the water chestnuts are tender, about 1 minute. Season with the salt and lemon pepper to taste. Finish with the lemon juice and toasted sesame seeds.
3. To serve, spoon several tablespoons of the chicken-and-pork mixture into the center of a butter lettuce leaf, top with some of the raw scallions and crushed wasabi peas or Asian trail mix.