These over-the-top brownies from Elise Strachan of "My Cupcake Addiction" are made with layers of rich chocolate brownie batter, creamy cheesecake and cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies.
- 13 tablespoons (185 g or 6½ ounces) unsalted butter, cubed
- 7 ounces (200 g) good quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups (270 g or 9½ ounces) granulated sugar or superfine sugar
- 2/3 cup (90 g or 3.2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (40 g or 1½ ounces) unsweetened cocoa powder
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 16 ounces (2 bricks) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 48 Oreo cookies, broken into chunks
- 1 package mini Oreo cookies
1. Preheat the oven to 320°F.
2. Make the brownie batter: In a saucepan over medium heat, add the butter and bring to a gentle boil. Turn the heat OFF and then add the dark chocolate, stirring intermittently until the chocolate has melted. Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl, add the eggs and sugar and beat with an electric mixer until they have almost doubled in size and are super light and fluffy, at least 7 minutes.
4. Pour the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and gently fold the two together using big round figure-8 movements. Stop mixing as soon as you no longer see white streaks through the chocolate batter.
5. In another bowl, sift the flour and cocoa powder together. Sift the cocoa flour mix directly over the top of the chocolate mixture so it falls evenly. Fold together, again using big round figure-8 movements.
6. Spray a 9-inch x 13-inch pan with the cooking spray and line the base with parchment paper. Pour half of the brownie mixture into the prepared pan and par-bake for 15 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, make the cheesecake batter: In a large mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, sugar and cornstarch and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy.
8. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating in between each addition.
9. Stir in the cream, vanilla and 1½ cups of the crushed Oreo cookies.
10. Remove the partially cooked brownie from the oven. Pour the cheesecake mixture over the par-cooked brownie and bake for 20 minutes.
11. Remove the tray from the oven and gently spread the remaining brownie batter over the cheesecake layer. Cover the brownie with chunks of crushed Oreo, adding some whole and halved mini Oreos throughout before returning to the oven for a further 20 minutes. The top should start to look a little flaky and the middle should spring back lightly when touched.
12. Cool completely in the pan (or preferably, chill overnight) before cutting into bars.