I love this recipe because it's so easy to make and a great crowd pleaser. The orange juice and the hoisin marry very well giving the sticky wings a delicious sweet and savory flavor.
Technique tip: If using ribs instead of wings, have the butcher cut rib rack in half through the bone.
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium light soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 heaping tablespoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 4 tablespoons Shaohsing rice wine or dry sherry
- 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 pounds chicken wings
- 1 Fresno chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, green part only, finely chopped
In a large bowl, mix together the ingredients for the marinade. Add the wings, cover, refrigerate and let marinate for as long as possible, overnight is best.2.
Preheat oven to 425 F.3.
Remove wings from marinade and transfer to a baking sheet, reserving the marinade.4.
Transfer the reserved marinade to a wok or small sauce pot and bring the mixture to a simmer and reduce slightly.5.
Bake wings for 30 to 45 minutes, or until cooked through and no longer pink at the bone. Baste the wings halfway through cooking with the reserved marinade.6.
Remove wings from oven, baste with the rest of the marinade and sprinkle with the chopped chiles and scallions.