The sweet layers of the strawberry jam balanced with the soft whipped cream in between the light orange blossom spongecake layers is such a gorgeous mouthful of summer. And, I have to admit, it is quite fabulous to see the reaction on the faces of friends and family when I bring this hero spongecake to the table. Smiles all around!
Technique tip: Before you put the spongecake on your cake stand, spoon a small amount of whipped cream in the center of the stand, then place the cake on top. This prevents the spongecake from sliding.
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing pans
- 2 cups superfine sugar
- 8 medium eggs
- 3⅔ cups self-rising flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder, sifted
- 4 tablespoons orange blossom water
- 3½ cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 2 cups strawberry jam
- 1 orange, zested
- 12 strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Powdered sugar
For the cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Rub a little butter around the inside of three 8-inch cake pans to coat the sides and base. Line the bottom of the pans with a circle of parchment paper to prevent the cakes from sticking.
3. Place the superfine sugar and butter in a mixing bowl, and cream together until light and fluffy. Then, with your mixer on medium speed, crack the eggs in one by one. Next sift in the flour and baking powder. Lastly, pour in the orange blossom water. Mix everything together until combined.
4. Spoon the cake batter evenly into the three baking pans and tap the sides to release any air bubbles.
5. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 40 minutes or until the sponges are lightly golden brown. Check by inserting a skewer (or knife) into the middle of the cake; if it comes out clean the cake is cooked. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pans for about 10 minutes before removing them and transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the filling:
While the cakes are baking, lightly whip the cream, orange blossom water and powdered sugar together until a light soft whipped cream forms.
To assemble and decorate:
Place one of the sponges top down, and spread with the strawberry jam, followed by half of the cream, repeat with the another sponge. Place the third sponge top facing upwards.
Arrange the strawberry slices on top and dust with confectioners sugar and the orange zest.