A good breakfast will help set the foundation for a whole day of healthy eating. These light yet filling open-faced sandwiches are sure to keep you satisfied until lunch.
Technique tip: Refrigerate leftover mayo and use on sandwiches or use as a topping for steamed or roasted vegetables.
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from chipotle peppers
- Four 3/4-inch thick slices sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 8 ounces thinly sliced low-sodium deli ham
- 4 ultra-thin slices pepper jack cheese
- Vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- Kosher salt
- Ground chipotle powder
- Micro greens or chopped fresh chives
For the chipotle mayo:
Combine mayonnaise, chipotle chiles and adobo sauce in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
For the sandwiches:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly butter both sides of the bread with softened butter. Toast one side of the bread in an extra-large, oven-proof skillet over medium heat until golden brown. Flip bread slices. While second side is toasting, spread top slice of bread with 1 tablespoon of the mayonnaise. Top with ham and cheese. Transfer pan to oven.
3. While sandwiches are heating, lightly oil the sides of a medium skillet or large saucepan. Fill the pan half full with water. Add vinegar to the water and bring to a boil.
4. Break 1 egg into a small dish. Carefully slide the egg into the simmering water, holding the lip of the dish as close to the water as possible. Repeat with three remaining eggs, adding them one at a time and spacing them so each egg has an equal amount of space surrounding it. Simmer for 3-5 minutes, or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard.
5. Remove sandwiches from oven. Use a slotted spoon to remove eggs from water. Top each sandwich with an egg. Season lightly with salt and chipotle powder. Sprinkle with micro greens and serve immediately.