- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small sweet or yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 large or 2 small celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 small zucchini (about 1/2 pound), finely diced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt + additional salt to taste
- 4 cups (1 quart) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 pound baby yellow or red potatoes, sliced into bite-size chunks
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored and finely diced
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 2 small ears) or frozen corn
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or half and half (optional)
- Whole parsley leaves or chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Bread for serving (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a medium (3-4 quart) stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
2. Stir in the onion, celery, zucchini and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are very soft and translucent, about 10-12 minutes.
3. Transfer the cooked vegetables to a blender and purée with the broth until smooth, or remove the pot from the heat, add the broth, and carefully purée in the pot with an immersion blender.
4. Return the purée to the pot and place over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, add the potatoes and bell pepper, and cook until the potatoes are just tender, about 10-12 minutes more.
5. Add the corn and cream (if using) and cook just until the corn is warmed through, about 2-3 minutes for fresh corn and 4-5 minutes for frozen corn.
6. Taste and add more salt to your taste. Divide between 6 bowls; sprinkle with parsley and serve with crusty bread if desired.