- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 pound peeled and deveined medium or large shrimp
- 1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish
- In a Dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot with a lid, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender and the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, wine, rice and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer until the rice is nearly cooked but still slightly al dente, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the peas. Place the shrimp on top of the rice, cover, and continue to cook until the shrimp is pink and cooked through and the rice is tender, about 5 minutes more. Stir in the olives and the parsley.
- Taste for seasoning and serve garnished with more parsley, if desired.