I love this recipe because it is so easy and relies on pantry staples. It is flavorful, healthy and simple to prepare. The frozen veggies are key because they add so much freshness without the need for any washing, chopping or prep.
Swap option: Add red pepper flakes if you'd like a spicy kick!
- 1 cup rice, uncooked (brown rice, white rice or even quinoa)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 cups frozen vegetables
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
1. Wash your rice, and soak for an hour so that it will cook faster. Cook rice until tender. Set aside to let cool.
2. Heat olive oil in a pan. When it shimmers, add onions and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent and tender and begin to brown around the edges.
3. Season the onions and garlic with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, cumin and smoked paprika. Cook until the spices infuse well with the onions and garlic and become fragrant.
4. Add frozen vegetables of choice to the pan. Cover and cook until they become tender, stirring frequently.
5. Once vegetables are tender, add soy sauce. Cook with the vegetables for a few minutes.
6. Add the cooled rice to the pan of vegetables. Stir so that the rice is well incorporated into the vegetables.
7. Season to taste with salt, pepper and extra soy sauce if desired. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.