- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley
- In a Dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot with a lid, heat the olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter over medium high heat. Add the onion, celery and mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender and the mushrooms have released most of their liquid, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken, bay leaves and a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute until the chicken is cooked on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and increase the heat to high. Boil down the wine, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan, until most of the wine has evaporated, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and stir in the rice. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer until the rice is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Add the peas and let cook until warmed through, about 1 minute. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, Parmesan and parsley until the rice is creamy. Taste for seasoning and serve garnished with more parsley.