Forget about boiling your noodles the next time you make baked macaroni and cheese. This hack saves time and energy. Plus, it'll be the easiest baked macaroni and cheese you've ever made.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 cups fontina cheese, shredded, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- Chopped parsley or chives, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, cream, cheddar, flour, salt, pepper and 2 cups of the fontina. Stir in the macaroni and scrape into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Cover the baking dish tightly with foil. Bake the macaroni and cheese for about 45 minutes until the noodles are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
2. Uncover the baking dish and then switch on the broiler. Broil for 3 minutes, until lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley or chives and serve.