This dish is super-fast, healthy and full of flavor. The spicy harissa and smoky cumin compliment the natural sweetness of the shrimp.
Technique tip: Don't add the salt until the end to ensure that the eggplant gets extra crispy.
Swap option: Replace shrimp with any preferred protein cut into small pieces.
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 large eggplant (1 pound), cut into 1½-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons harissa
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 12 ounces extra-large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 big pinch salt Fresh basil leaves, torn
- Steamed couscous, for serving
1. Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Once hot add the eggplant and let brown for about 3 minutes.
2. Next, add the harissa and cumin, stir to toast the spices about a minute.
3. Toss in the shrimp, garlic, lemon zest and salt.
4. Allow the shrimp to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes.
5. Drizzle the lemon juice over the top, sprinkle over the basil and serve with couscous.