This sandwich is a taste of summer in one bite. I grew up eating tomato sandwiches all summer long. It is the first thing I go for when tomatoes are ripe.
Technique tip: Always salt and pepper tomato slices because it brings out the flavor and juices.
Swap option: If someone you are serving is a vegetarian, you can swap the bacon for avocado.
- 12 slices white sandwich bread
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons chopped basil
- 5 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 12 slices cooked bacon, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Using a 2-inch round biscuit cutter, cut circles out of sliced bread.2.
Add the mayonnaise, lemon juice, Cajun seasoning and chopped basil in a mixing bowl; stir until ingredients are well-combined.3.
To assemble the bite-size sandwiches: Spread basil mayo onto a bread round, then place a slice of tomato (you may have to cut the tomato to make it fit on the bread round). Add a piece of bacon. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.