The best part about this recipe is you can do it all by hand (no mixer needed!), so you get a little workout in before enjoying these decadent treats. Whether you freeze into individual cookie balls to bake at a later date, or bake in a skillet for one giant, sensational, ooey-gooey golden brown cookie, this is ultimate comfort food. Top it with good-quality vanilla ice cream for an extra sumptuous treat.
- 2¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temp
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 pint good quality vanilla ice cream (optional)
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
2. In a second bowl, beat the butter and both sugars together vigorously with a whisk for two minutes. It should be light toffee colored and smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add each egg one at a time, beating 30 seconds in between additions. Scrape down the bowl again and whisk 30 seconds more.
3. Use a spatula to fold the dry ingredients into the wet. When fully combined, add the chocolate chips and stir to distribute. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator two hours to cool and harden (this step can be done up to 2 days in advance).
4. Preheat oven to 350°F.
5. Pat dough down into a 10-inch cast iron oven-safe skillet. Bake until the edges are deeply golden brown and crispy and pull away from the skillet edge, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately with spoons or let sit 20 minutes to set and slice.