I had this sandwich for the first time at Gene's Po-Boys in New Orleans and fell in love with the spicy sausage and the toasted bread.
Technique tip: Cook the sausage in a pan in a until cooked all the way through on medium heat for about 3 minutes on each side, top with cheese and melt in oven for 1 minute. Toast the bun in the sausage fat, smear with mayo, and add tomato, lettuce and pickles.
Swap option: You can use shrimp or roast beef instead of sausage.
- 4 hot sausage patties
- 4 slices American cheese
- 1 loaf po'boy bread
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 beefsteak tomato, sliced into rounds
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup sliced pickles
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Cook the sausage in a pan on medium heat until cooked all the way through, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove sausage patties to a baking sheet and top with cheese slices.
3. Place the cheese-topped patty in the preheated oven for 1 minute only (be sure to watch it so cheese doesn't over-melt and burn).
4. While the cheese is hot, coat the bun in the sausage fat from the pan. Place the bun in the oven to toast.
5. Remove the bread and sausage patties from the oven. Smear bun with mayo, add sausage patties, tomato, lettuce and pickles. Cut into 4 pieces and serve.