- 4 cod fillets (about 1½ pounds)
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
I love this recipe because it's flavorful, fast and fresh! This dish brings back childhood memories of Brazil.
Swap option: If you don't like cod, substitute with any other flaky white fish.
Pat the fish dry with paper towels and put the fillets in a large glass bowl. Season with the lime juice, salt and black pepper to taste and set aside.2.
In a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.3.
Add the bell peppers, tomato paste, paprika and turmeric, mixing well. Cook, stirring, until the bell peppers begin to soften, about 4 minutes.4.
Lay the fish fillets on top of the vegetables and pour in the coconut milk. Cover the pot and lower the heat to medium-low. Cook until the fish is just cooked through, about 15 minutes.5.
Season with salt and black pepper, red pepper flakes and the fresh cilantro right before serving.
Excerpted from At Home with Natalie: Simple Recipes for Healthy Living from My Family's Kitchen to Yours © 2018 by Natalie Morales. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
TODAY has affiliate relationships, so we may get a small share of the revenue from your purchases. Items are sold by the retailer, not by TODAY.