- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled and smashed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- 3/4 cup medium spicy salsa, store-bought or homemade
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup tortilla chips, crushed
Combine two ballpark favorites into one tasty bite with these nacho-topped hot dogs. You'll get that perfect snap of a grilled hot dog with the spicy, cheesy crunch of nachos.
Technique tip: When you place the hot dogs over the heat, don't walk away! Keep turning them to get grill marks all around and watch them carefully. When they start to expand — but before they start sputtering — they're done.
For the avocado smash:
In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir well to combine. Cover and set aside.
For the hot dogs:
Preheat the grill to high heat. Grill hot dogs until golden-brown, about 2 minutes per side. While the hot dogs cook, place the split buns on the grill over indirect heat to lightly toast.
Remove the cooked hot dogs and toasted buns from the grill. Place a hot dog on each bun and top with the avocado smash, salsa, shredded cheese, jalapeños and sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips.