- 1 cup sliced mushrooms, any type
- 3/4 cup raw walnuts
- 6 jarred sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 head butter lettuce, leaves separated and stemmed
- 1/2 cup canned corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- Minced fresh parsley, for garnish
- Lemon wedges, for serving
These lettuce tacos are a family favorite in our home, and I’m sure they’ll be in yours, too. When making this recipe you might want to make an extra batch of the mushroom “chorizo,” and store it in the fridge to enjoy with other recipes, like we do. It adds great flavor and a nutritional boost to any meal.
For the mushroom "chorizo":
In a food processor, combine all the "chorizo" ingredients and pulse until crumbly, stopping to scrape down the sides several times.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the "chorizo" and cook, stirring frequently to prevent burning, for about 5 minutes, or until browned and cooked through. Remove from the heat.
For the tacos:
Spoon the chorizo into the lettuce cups. Top with the corn, tomatoes, and avocado and garnish with parsley. Serve with the lemon wedges alongside for squeezing over the top.