- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon preserved lemon, peel only, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon harissa
- 1 teaspoon 15-ounce can chopped tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved
- 2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup vermicelli
- 1/2 cup Lemon wedges for garnish
Heat olive oil.
Sauté onion on low for a couple of minutes.
Add garlic, ginger and harissa and sauté on low for 2 more minutes.
Add chickpeas, lentils, preserved lemon, tomatoes, cinnamon stick and broth and bring to a boil.
Lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
Remove cinnamon stick.
Add parsley and cilantro.
With a hand held blender, pulse soup a little so it is partly chunky and partly smooth.
Add vermicelli and continue to cook 8 to 10 more minutes.
Salt and pepper to taste.