All you need to make this incredibly easy and delicious pasta dish is 3 great ingredients and smart cooking techniques.
Technique tip: Buy the best quality pasta, butters and cheese available.
- 1¼ pounds fresh fettuccine
- 1 cup pasta cooking water, divided
- 4 ounces buffalo butter
- 2 ounces butter
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/2 cup roughly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
1. Bring larger pot of water to boil and salt generously. Cook the pasta to al dente according to package instructions (approximately 1-2 minutes until tender and soft to the bite).
2. Place a large sauté pan on low heat and add 1/2 cup of pasta water to the pan.
3. Add both butters to the pan and slowly stir to emulsify.
4. Remove the pasta with tongs from the pot and add to the butter and water mixture.
5. Add the remaining pasta cooking water and fresh ground black pepper.
6. Continue to cook on low heat while tossing to incorporate the sauce into the pan
7. When the sauce is incorporated remove the pan from the heat and add the finely grated cheese in a slow steady stream while tossing the pasta.
8. Divide the pasta into 4 bowls. Top with the remaining coarsely grated cheese and more freshly ground pepper.