This is a tasty twist on classic peanut butter cookies! The miso offers a smooth consistency, enhances the nutty flavor and provides a balance in the saltiness. These cookies have a light sweetness, are crispy on the outside and soft in the center.
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup miso glaze (recipe linked above)
- 1/3 cup peanut butter of choice
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup turbinado sugar, for coating
1. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and baking powder and whisk until incorporated. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl using a hand mixer, mix butter, light brown sugar and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add miso glaze and peanut butter and continue to mix at medium speed until well-incorporated. Add egg and vanilla extract and mix until just combined.
4. In three batches, add flour mixture to the miso and peanut butter mixture while mixing on medium speed, until incorporated. Repeat until all of the flour has been used.
5. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours.
6. When ready, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
7. Place turbinado sugar onto a small plate or bowl. Working with one piece at a time, scoop out 1 tablespoon of dough and roll each portion between your hands until nice and round. Roll dough ball in sugar and place on baking sheet. Arrange each ball about 3 inches apart and repeat with all of the dough.
8. Bake cookies for about 15 minutes until crisp at the edges and slightly puffed in the middle.
9. Remove cookies from the oven and let cookies cool for about 2-3 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.