The beauty of this dish is its simplicity. It only has five ingredients, but each plays a vital part in the recipe. The miso adds flavor, the sake and mirin season the fish, and the mayo promotes the development of a beautiful browned finish on the salmon.
- 2 tablespoons miso paste, preferably white (shiro) or blended (awase)
- 2 teaspoons Kewpie mayonnaise
- 1½ teaspoons sake
- 1/2 teaspoon mirin
- One 12-ounce skin-on salmon fillet
1. Whisk together the miso, Kewpie mayo, sake and mirin in a small bowl. Coat the entire salmon fillet in the mixture and marinate for 20 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
3. Line a baking sheet with a wire rack or piece of foil, then place the salmon on top, skin side down. Bake for 3-5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillet (3 minutes for a 1-inch-thick fillet; 5 minutes for a 2-inch piece).
4. Turn on the broiler and adjust the oven rack so that the fish sits about 6 inches below the heat source.
5. Cook for 4-5 minutes more, until the fish is nicely browned and just cooked through.